We’re thrilled to sit down with celebrity jewelry designer, Marianna Harutunian, in her showroom in DTLA. Since discovering this bedazzling genius, we’ve noticed that she has designed virtually every accessory we’ve obsessed (and drooled) over in recent months, whether it be in a music video, at the Grammy’s or on TV, she has designed. Her creativity and attention to detail are unparalleled. Her exquisite masterpieces have been featured on Gwen Stefani, Lady Gaga, HBO’s True Blood, Nicki Minaj, Gossip Girl, Mariah Carey, Cher, Katy Perry, Disney Characters, and countless other stars. Despite her impressive resume, as you’ll see below, Marianna remains humble and sweet, which is refreshing in this often overly superficial world where so many creatives tend to get lost in their egos once they’ve “made it.” It’s clear that Marianna genuinely cares about her customers and the passion that she has for bling quite literally shines through every design that she creates.
1. Please describe what you do and why you are passionate about your work:
I design and make Swarovski crystal accessories. I started playing with beads when I was five-years-old and would create simple accessories that I gave away up until high school. Honestly, the reactions that people had excited me more than anything else. That is still what is more important to me. I constantly strive to create one-of-a-kind items that no one has ever seen before that makes each and every customer feel amazing when they’re wearing them.
2. What word describes you best as a professional and why?
Motivated! In this business, you have to have a strong mindset and always motivate yourself and know that giving up is not an option. I have come a long way and I try not to let any type of setbacks get to me. I always look at the positive side of everything and continue to push forward despite any obstacles that I may face.
3. Were you always sure that you wanted to be in the industry that you are in? Yes and no. It was a dream of mine to create for celebrities, movies, and musicians. I just never knew who I had to contact. But luckily the stylists found me. Word of mouth got around and I started getting requests. It’s an amazing feeling to see your creations on a celebrity. This feeling of accomplishment and having a dream coming true never gets old.
4. What motivates you to continue your work? My clients and followers definitely keep me motivated and inspired but my biggest supporters are my family.
5. Do you have any advice for those looking for a similar career path? No matter what, no matter how hard things get, if you love what you do, keep doing it and success will follow. It may take a minute but you will succeed. Surround yourself with people that motivate you. It’s a crazy ride but I love every minute of it and would change a thing. Theres no losses when you’re following your dreams–only wins and lessons.
She has an Etsy store but everything she makes is made-to-order.
Be sure to follow her on Instagram at @mariannaharutunian and feel free to reach out to her to place custom orders.